Tuesday 28 July 2009

Twenty-Twenty!

Today I've reached that milestone in my life that some of us "girls" don't like to announce, another way of saying it is "Thirty-Ten" as recently explained by Rosalie Quinlan.

I'm not sure how I feel about life at 40, it's definitely different to my life at 20. I wasn't married, I spent my weekends nightclubbing and sleeping and I went to Uni part-time whilst working full-time. I don't miss any of that but it was fun at the time.

These days I'm married to a wonderful husband, mother to a gorgeous son whose growing into a handsome young man everyday and owner of a puppy that follows me everywhere. We live in our own home in the suburbs. I spend my spare time stitching when I can or being around other likeminded crafters. I work full-time with a great bunch of colleagues, even though they don't get my obsession with fabric and making things. (Ange is the exception, she's equally crafty).

I love to watch my son play sport even though he's not going to be a Harry Kewel or Michael Jordan, he's having fun and that's all that matters. I support my husband's obsession with rocks and minerals and have my own little collection of fossils.

I rarely drink but when I do I like reds and it has to be with a lovely meal. I've never smoked, never tried drugs, I've never been a big risk taker although one day I'd like to sky dive.

Overall I'm more confident, apart from the occasional panic attack. I'm happy with the choices I've made in life, I wouldn't change anything! I don't feel any different, got a few wrinkles, maybe carrying a bit more weight than I should but I don't try to hide it. I am who I am, and if who I am is a 40 year old then that's me, it's just Twenty-twenty has a fun ring to it!

Thanks to my Mum for bringing me into the world and guiding me through my youth unscathed. Thanks to my Sister and Brother for the sibling rivalry and being there for me when I needed you to. Thanks to my husband and son for providing me with laughter, love and happiness. Thanks to all my friends who have provided me friendship and support. You've all helped make me the woman I am today.

Now where's my chocolate cake?????

P.S. If you bloghop over to Bonnie's blog you can see what I sent her for the Xmas in July swap!

39 comments:

Gail said...

happy happy birthday!!! twenty twenty is not so bad....it's the twenty thirty I am worried about!!!

Isabella said...

Happy birthday Jo hope you have a great time when ever you celebrate it

Kate said...

Happy Happy twenty-twenty birthday Miss Jo, hope your boys spoilt you rotten, that number is sneaking up on me way too fast.

Have a fabulous day birthday girl

Fran said...

Have a lovely Happy Birthday,
hugz,
Fran W

andsewon said...

Happy 20 20 Birthday Jo in TAS!!!
Enjoy as the next 10yrs will fly by!!
I just saw your Christmas in July package to Bonnie on her blog so had to come over to tell you it is awesome!!
I adore red work and you stitch beautifully!!
Lola

Chookyblue...... said...

Have a wonderful birthday........so great to be happy where you are and what your doing.......

Chookyblue...... said...

Happy Birthday.........the best thing is your so happy with the life you have.......so many want things differently......

Liz said...

Happy birthday Jo, have a wonderful day. It's all not so bad, you tend to 'grow' into the age you're at.
Lizzie
XXX

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Hey Jo! Happy 'Bear'thday! :0) As someone who turns 'that age' next year, I quite like the 'twenty-twenty' label. Another one I've seen somewhere was "39 plus GST", or "39 plus postage and handling!" Glad to hear how happy you are just being you - no matter what age - and just think how many more adventures you have in store!! Have a fabulous day - I wish you health, happiness, contentment, good friends, abundant love, barrels of laughs ... and LOTS of wonderful gifties! Tee! Hee! Hee! Birthday Bear Bugs! KRIS

Sandi said...

Oh, Happy Birthday, Jo!! Enjoy the day.

Ann J said...

Happy Birthday Jo!!! Don't forget its the age when 'life begins' so think about all the wonderful times you've still to come!Luv...AJ

Jan Gartlan said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday! Hope you were spoilt.

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday Jo. I don't remember turning 40 as being that much of a milestone, but turning 60 last year was a heck of challenge!

Jodie said...

Happy Birthday dear Jo - you are exactly two days older than me !!!

Jan said...

Wishing you a very happy twenty-twentieth birthday, dear Jo - and lots of hugs and chocolate cake.

trash said...

Happy birthday 20/20 year old!

It is nice to be in a place where you can be happy in your life and simply be who you are - well done.

rachelmp said...

What a fantastic post Jo! Have a great birthday

Sarah said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jo!! I hope you have had a wonderful day xx 20 20 sounds great to me..... but I am still a fair way off LOL!!
x Sarah
PS: Did you get the cake??

Unknown said...

HAPPPY BIRTHDAY JO..hope you had a Great Day & did get that chocolate Cake...40's are a Nice time in life I think...we seem to be at peace with ourselves...sounds like you are...
Enjoy

wonderwoman said...

a very, very happy birthday Jo, what a lovely post! hope you are having a great day.

xxxx

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday Jo. 20/30 is ok too, when it comes down to it, it's just a number, it doesn't change who you are. You have a good grip on that already. Hope you enjoyed your day.

Unknown said...

Well gosh I forgot to comment on the swap gifts you sent. Jut gorgeous, beautiful work and I know Bonnie is over the moon with them.

Annie said...

Happy Birthday Jo in Tas, and enjoy being 40 I like your attitude.

Stina Blomgren said...

Happy TWENTY-TWENTY... wish I had come up with that when I crossed the border...lol... You have had a wonderful life Jo..
I wish you all the best!!!!
"Med en enkel tulipan på bemärkelsedan..jag har den äran att gratulera... Hipp Hipp Hurra" :o) I had to do it in Swedish!!! :o) That song my Grandma always sang to me when I had my birthday.. :o)) So you just try it..lol..

sewkalico said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Dena said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a magical day full of excitement.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday. I will become twenty twenty in august, I like to be called twenty twenty. Here ( south of the netherlands) you are an ouwe tesch ( old handbag);o(

Locket Pocket said...

Happy Birthday!!! Have a great time! Lucy xxxx

julia said...

Oh Sis! Happy Birthday!
Congrats to the 19th anniversary of your 21st birthday ;o).
May the next years be full of the most beautiful, joyful, exciting, and happiest memories-to-be.
Thanks for being so wonderfully you!
Hugs, Julia

Sew Useful Designs said...

HAPPY 20-2O SWEETIE!!!! :-)

I love that!!!

Happy birthday Jo! I think age is a beautiful thing, for it brings confidence and wisdom! Wishing you an abundance of love, happiness and fun! You're such a lovely girl and I'm so glad we met!! :-)

Birthday hugs!
Vikki xoxoxoxo

Kris said...

Happy birthday Jo! I thought this was going to be a cricket post (20/20)! Twenty-twenty is not bad. I'm 20-25 and older still seems strange to me.

Mistea said...

The years are what makes us who we are, the 40's are the best, forget all that stuff about being young! I'm celebrating every year of the 40's like I never could when I was in my 20's. Enjoy all of them.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

I like it 20-20!!!
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday dear Jo
Happy birthday to you!!!♥♥♥

RG said...

See this is why I like you so much!!
You'r a kindred spirit Jo and comfortable in your own skin!!
Happy happy 20-20th :D
Friendship hugs,
Rob xx

RG said...

PS My hubby put '29 and holding' on my 40th bday cake :D I thought that was great!!

Jules said...

Welcome to the 20/20 club. I don't feel any different either. I remember my mum turning 40 and she thought her life was over. I am pleased the world is changing when it comes to age because I still feel like a big kid but with responsibilities. I hope you had a wonderful day and did you get that chocolate cake?

Jules

ChitterChatterDesigns said...

Happy Birthday! What a lovely read you have here. I found your comments very inspiring. It is wonderful you know who you are and where you are going in life, without one regret. Good for you Jo! Thanks for sharing such wonderful thoughts.

Marita said...

Belated birthday wishes Jo now that you are a fabolous forty! Fantastic sentiments in this post, I love being 20-20 as well, not so sure about the crinkles around the eyes though! Have a great weekend, Marita

DAWNIE said...

Oh I missed it.
Hope you had a lovely birthday.
No 40 not all that bad. They say life begins at 40.